Tuesday, 14 August 2012

poco a poco

Thought of the day: Nothing is really anything except by comparison. Examples that support my new philosophy in which I have learned in Puerto Rico so far:
·      Iowa is not “hot”
·      Florida is not “humid”
·      My shower today was hot when thinking about yesterday’s shower
·      -but cold compared to showers at home.
·      Molly doesn’t talk “fast”

Okay enough rambling.

So Sunday after I tried posting my failed blog, We went to a pizza place and grabbed something to eat. We went in and ordered a “Medalla,” the local Puertorican beer (for only a dollar might I add), when an old guy (who I call “el viejo”) decided to chat our ears of for about a half an hour about everything in his life. Some of it was very interesting. Some of it was very lame. By the end of our conversation, Shelby and I had free Lasagna, a couple free beers, an offer for two motorized bicycles, and an empty apartment. Not bad. I guess we reminded him of his daughters who live in Nebraska. He keeps his apartment empty in hopes that one day they will retire and come live in it. It turned out to be a very interesting night, but we’ll stop there for my mom’s sake.

This post might be very lame. For some reason my camera says “memory card wright protected” every time I try to take a picture. So I finally got the honker I got from Craig’s list up and running.

Yesterday was also interesting. (I think I have said that about every day so far.) We started it by putting out a fire in the kitchen. We smelled something burning, so we followed it down to the third floor and dumped water on the stove and opened the windows so the fire alarm would stop going off. So strange. Las extranjeras to the rescue!

The lady who owned the pizza place, Margarita, fell in love with us on Sunday and made us come back from karaoke last night. It was so much fun! Are Puerto Ricans born knowing how to merengue? (I think that’s what they were doing). Most of the people there were special needs that were on a field trip to go out dancing. They all had better moves than this Gringa!

Food has been a little frustrating. We just got a fridge last night so we didn’t buy anything cold when we went grocery shopping the other day. I opened the fridge today and laughed to myself at the ridiculousness of it all.
  
Also, I stopped and laughed while we had lunch today. If I was more aware of everything going on around me, I would never stop laughing. This was our lunch:


Yes a little plastic coffee cup of chicken and rice soup and a little plastic coffee cup of…well… coffee.

I also had my first breakdown. Sometimes I feel like I’m doing well keeping up in the conversation, but with one particular guy… Oh.  My. Gosh. It was like he was speaking a different language! Wait. That phrase doesn’t apply here. Um, It was like he was from a different planet! That’s better. Hopefully the language aspect gets a little easier or I learn how to handle better. Whoops!

Another interesting thing that I have never done before: laundry in the shower. I’m going old school…. Until I can find out another place to do laundry. I can already tell its going to be crazy going back to Iowa. I feel like everything is going to seem so easy!

I went to the supermarket today. Check out these avocados!! They're absolutetely amazing.




 and this is how they sell bananas... still part of the tree. lol



and now time to sleep... or try. Its hard to be optimistic right now.  lol night.

No comments:

Post a Comment